What is a DoD STEM Ambassador?
The Defense Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Education Consortium (DSEC) is a collaborative partnership between academia, industry, not-for-profit organizations and government that aims to broaden STEM literacy and develop a diverse and agile workforce with the technical excellence to defend our Nation. By addressing and prioritizing critical STEM challenges, the Department of Defense (DoD) is investing in evidence-based approaches to inspire and develop the Nation’s science and technology workforce. Educators who are recognized with the DoD STEM Ambassador award will partner with DSEC to advance STEM outreach throughout the 2021-2022 school year. As members of this prestigious cohort, DoD STEM Ambassadors will collaborate to create and curate resources to support STEM educators across the nation in implementing high quality STEM learning for all students. This program is facilitated by RTI International.
Scope of Work
Throughout the year (September 2021 – August 2022), members in the cohort will:
- Create and curate remote-learning and digital materials such as lesson plans, learning activities, and creative engagement approaches to be shared with educators. Emphasis on the following domains prioritized by the Federal STEM Strategic Plan:
- Transdisciplinary learning in STEM
- Computational literacy, including data science and cyber education
- Work-based learning experiences with industry
- STEM ecosystems
- Guest author blog posts to be featured on the DoD STEM website
- Support at least one presentation at national, state, and/or local conferences to share DoD STEM resources (may or may-not be DSEC-sponsored events)
- Meet virtually monthly as a community of practice to network and learn from each other
What funding is available for this event?
The total amount for this award is $20,000. Each award is broken down based on the following:
- $12,500 educator stipend
- $5,000 educator classroom materials and supplies
- $2,500 educator conference or Professional Development attendance (registration, lodging, travel)